Hello and welcome to the Chinnor U10's. We welcome new players and old, and are inclusive of both boys and girls.
This year we have some new rules of play. The main difference between U9's and U10s being as follows:
- Pitch Size: 60 x 35.
- Number of players per side: 8 players MAX.
- Rugby Ball Size: Up from size 3 to 4.
- The tackle situation: Contest for the ball is introduced. Once tackled players can now compete for the ball. Only one player per team is allowed to go into the tackle, plus who ever has been tackled and the player that has done the tackling. The first player there can pick the ball up off the floor from the tackler, as long as on their feet, and can then carry on running with the ball or make a pass.
- Introduction of 3 player scrums: It is an uncontested scrum. The 3 closest players, from each side, to where ever the knock on occurred or forward pass may have happened are used to form the scrum. The team putting the ball in will win it and a scrum half has to pass the ball away from the base of the scrum.
- Free pass restarts: Game restarts are done from the middle of the pitch through a free pass at the start of the game or after a try has been scored. There are NO line outs, so it is a free pass from the side of the pitch as well.
For safely reason as well as skill and squad development it is important that you attend as many training sessions as possible. We also have a full timetable of games coming up and it is important you attend to give us the best possible chance of doing well in the games.
This first part of the year we will be focusing on tackling and passing as well as the contesting of the ball and scrum restarts. It is important that players can all tackle safely and when needed. We also need to be able to pass, catch and run with the ball in hand, to score try's and find space out wide.
Mouth guards are mandatory so please ensure they are available for training and games.
Training starts at 10:00 sharp and finishes at 11:30, weather permitting.
Before 10:00 group warm up games & player sign-in
10:00 Warm-up, stretches
10:15 Skill session 1 e.g. tackle, ruck, maul
10:35 Skill session 2 e.g. passing, running, evasive skills
10:55 Game play
11:20 Debrief, next week and awards
11:30 Finish, player sign out
Please see a coach if you have any questions, concerns or would like to help out.
All the coaches have been DBS checked and various levels of coaching certificates (including Rugby Ready, Level 1 & Level2), we are working to have all coaches qualified to level 1 (under 7 - 12 qualified).