Caldy RFC were formed on February 27th 1924 when some Old Boys of Caldy School, with the encouragement of the then Headmaster, R Glasspool, decided to carry on playing rugby together so the Old Caldeians R.F.C. came into being at a meeting held at the Blenheim Café in West Kirby.
A year later, Sir Alfred Paton, an Old Boy of the school, bequeathed to The National Trust 20 acres of land bordering Thurstaston Common with a proviso stating that this area was to be available to the rugby club to use as a playing area in perpetuity. So Paton Field came into existence.
In 1928 the club finally took possession of Paton Field and built a clubhouse with three changing rooms at a cost of £856-10-0. This original clubhouse is still the core of the current clubhouse despite it being built mainly from wood.
On the field, the club have risen steadily up the pyramid since the formation of league rugby in 1987, winning their first ever league title in 1997 when they finished on top of North West Two.
In 2005 the club were promoted for the first time into North One and went up again two seasons later into National Two North where they have remained until last season’s stunning promotion-winning campaign.
Did You Know?
The club became the fifth in England to be awarded the ‘RFU Seal of Approval’, and in 2003 they were awarded Rugby World’s Team of the Year.
Caldy reached the highest level in the club's history when they beat title rivals Sale 28–26 in front of a crowd of 1,432 at Paton Field (the best attendance at the ground in over a decade) to win National League 2 North and gain promotion to National 1. They completed the double after winning the Cheshire Cup for the 6th time, beating Sandbach, 35–17 in the final.
Caldy currently lie 10th in National One and have won one and lost one of their two opening fixtures. We look forward to seeing speedy back Luke Hibberd return to Kingsey Road
We will be serving our classic Steak and ale pie with boiled new potatoes, assorted vegetables with a red wine gravy followed by cheese and biscuits ONLY £15 per person
To book phone the Clubhouse on 01844 213735 or email events at chinnor-rfc.com